These are great ideas flying around.

I really do think that a simple but complete application would be
really useful for new bakers - all things considered the manual +
bakery + this group are a pretty damn good resource - BUT it can be
hard pulling things together and integrating. Ideally it would be
something useful (and actually a simple CMS is always useful) but that
practically demonstrates how to tie it all together AND that also
demonstrates best practice.

I guess you would might want:

* Users / Groups / Permissions (managed from within the app)
* File manager for upload images / files
* Page editor
* Menu manager / navigation controller

Now you can turn up your noses and say - just another CMS - but almost
all the stuff I build at work needs these features, sometimes you add
a shopping cart, sometimes a forum, sometimes a contacts DB etc...

I also like the plugin / module idea - but if you made the demo thing
above using them it might be too complex / abstracted for somebody
trying to learn... i don't know. At the end of the day though, I think
we all know that the best way to learn is just to start building and
deal with problems one by one. (p.s. I'm currently building 2 apps -
its not always easy, but it is worth it - I just wish I'd stumbled
onto cake a year ago...)

Cheers