On Apr 2, 1:40 pm, "gerbenzomp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem seemed to be that I cannot pass the variable $this->name
> through requestaction.

It would probably get overwritten if you put it in the params as
'name', but you could have passed it either

in the url
echo $this->requestAction ('/url/stuff/camefrom:'.$this->name.'.'.
$this->action..

or as a a differently named parameter.
echo $this->requestAction ('/url/stuff', array('camefrom'=>'.$this-
>name.'.'.$this->action..

> So that's another reason (apart from loading
> times) to use your 'mini-controllers' approach in this case. Thnx,
> it's working now!

Cool.

> Is your mini-controllers method ever going to be a standard part of
> Cake? Because if requestAction is so heavy this is a great workaround!

I wouldn't expect so, it's not really adding to cake but using it.
Also I don't know if it duplicates something that is planned or
already present. But who knows.

One thing that might be relevant and becomes interesting in 1.2 is the
ability to cache elements (which I alluded to covertly in my previous
message); so instead of putting effort into the component/controller
side of things, you /could/ put requestAction or other logic in your
element and cache the result.
it works like this echo $this->element('elementname',array('cache'=>'1
week',other=>sfuff,if=>necessary));

Anyway, glad you found a solution,

cheers,

AD