After a brief discussion on IRC, the answer to that was to use the
'complete' attribute like this;

$ajax->submit('Add', array("condition"=>"checkLogin()",
"class"=>"button","url"=>"/projects/$urlname/$pid/comment",
"update"=>"project_comment_list", "complete"=>"// clear your text box
content here..."))

Hope this helps anyone else...

Seb.