you need to return the value you saved to the ajax in-place editor
maybe something like(not tested:
var $components = array('RequestHandler');
function update_stocks( ) {
  $this->autoRender = false; // don't attempt to render anything
  // for god's sake , don't use _POST.
  // $this->set('value', $_POST['value']);
  if(!empty($this->params['form'])) {
    $value = $this->params['form']['value'];
    // .. do something to it
    echo $value; // now return the value to the editor
    exit; // exit so you don't get debugging info, or you can do this:
    /*
    $db =& ConnectionManager::getDataSource('default');
    $db->fullDebug = false;
    */