I've been thinking about this problem some more, and maybe I need
HABTM-associations between the pages and widgets, as well as between
the layers and the widgets? Or would that make it unneccesarily
complex?

I want to generate an array based on the current page, and then print
the layers, and the widgets each layer contains, so maybe there's a
much simpler approach. It's just that I can't see how to do this.