I had similar problem with one ISP. Actually adding RewriteBase  /
before the RewriteRule makes it works, "fixing" the base of the rule
to the webroot directory.

My .htaccess in webroot looked like this :

RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]

Hope this helps.