I suggest going the hosted route as well. I use a company in Australia
called Vision 6. I have used a few others as well. Most companies who
do this have an API that you can connect to as well, so if you want
your own custom signup form you can, and have it hook into their
system from your cakephp app.

Cheers,
Adam