I believe from what I've read, that a big reason for not using a
series of requestActions is performance.  Run a series of
requestAction calls and check the speed.

Cake Processing Explained:
http://groups.google.ca/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/7cf805d7ae1841ab/39c1ed08657b19c1%2339c1ed08657b19c1

More info:
http://www.thinkingphp.org/category/spliceit/