I'm sure this is a newbie question but I've been unable find the
answer. If I run findAll on a simple table with no joins, I get an
array with an unnecessary middle level with the model name, eg.

Array ( [0] => Array ( [User] => Array ( [id] => 1 [username] => user1
[emailaddress] => [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) ) ) [1] => Array ( [User] => Array
( [id] => 2 [username] => user2 [emailaddress] => [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) )
[2] => Array ( [User] => Array ( [id] => 3 [username] => user3
[emailaddress] => [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) ) ) )

I would prefer:

Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => 1 [username] => user1 [emailaddress] =>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ) [1] => Array ( [id] => 2 [username] => user2
[emailaddress] => [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) [2] => Array ( [id] => 3 [username]
=> user3 [emailaddress] => [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) )

I realise that CakePHP probably needs that middle level with the model
name, ie. [User], to create views and so forth but it seems to be a
bit redundant for non-Cake-specific operations. What I mean is that if
I have executed $this->User->findAll(); I don't need a row in the
array telling me that the results pertain to User.

>From my experience, the second type of array without the middle level
is a common way to organise data retrieved from a database, eg. for
passing to a DataGridColumn in Flex/Flash using AMFPHP, so I was
wondering if there is a way to do this with findAll or if there is
another Cake function available to achieve this. I know I could use
query() to do the same thing but as I would imagine it's such a common
thing to do I thought there might be a Cake way of doing it.

At the moment I'm doing this:

        function getUsers()
        {
                $temp = $this->User->findAll();
                // Assoc array returned from Cake's findAll is too deep so
remove
the middle layer
                foreach ($temp as $value)
                {