Well to answer the original question..

I am building a huge application with CakePHP also. For the most part
its great. Sometimes there are very specific tweaks I want to do, in
which the framework itself gets in the way. So far in all of my
"hacks" I have not had to edit the core Cake code. Cake has been nice
enough to let me do all edits in my Application code. I have no
comments on speed yet, but so far I'm happy with how I've been able to
write the queries that I want to write. I try to use Models and
prewritten Cake queries as much as possible, but sometimes, they wont
do.

IMHO, Cake is becoming the best PHP framework out there, and if it
keeps up its current pace will (eventually) rival Rails for being
among the best frameworks anywhere. Its got a while to go, but it's
also come a long way.

-Rob