> Well, considering other people seem to be able to use HABTM-related
> models, I'd say that perhaps something is wrong in your configuration.
> :)

The weird thing is that everything works perfectly normally as long as
I use a multi-select field, i.e. a select tag that has the "multiple"
attribute. The whole chain of saving and reading works and entries are
made in the join table. All the examples I've found in the manual and
online also all use multi-selects.

I should point out that this is only if you use the HTML helper to
generate the field - otherwise all you should need to do is add "[]":
<select name="data[Person][Person][]">...</select>