I am having the exact same problem. I was half way through the IBM
tutorial then switched hosting companies. I started over, and now am
getting a 404 when hitting .../users/register but when going to .../
index.php?url=users/register the page comes up fine.

What's the story? I've tried re-loading my database tables, but that
didn't help. Thanks in advance!

Ben