In my recent course of learning CakePHP, I would agree with you. The
available documentation has not been clear on the "magic" that Cake
performs for the coder. A lot of my learning came through trial and
error, because there is magic behind the scenes that is not immediately
evident from the examples and documentation.

I'm considering writing an article to try to cover all the "magic" that
a Cake beginner would need to know about... but heck, I'm still a Cake
beginner, really.