Ok, right now I'm leaning towards "I've found a bug". But we'll see
how this pans out.  Lets start here.. a simple quesiton... If this
gets anwered, maybe there are no problems.

What is the correct way to set the default pagination direction and
column using the pagination in Cake 1.2?

(FYI, a direction or sort column in the $paginate variable in the
controller seems to not let that value ever change using the data from
the url)