I once wrote a non-cake application with a secure login. As soon as we
went live, the primary user complained that she was unexpectedly
logged out all the time blah, blah, blah. So I wrote a simple java
script timer that displayed a countdown to the next time-out. That way
the user could see exactly when they will be timed out.

The js was very simple, all you need from cake is the length of the
session timeout. Although I thought the complaint was quite trivial, I
really liked the visible count-down. I'm sure with script.aculo.us,
you could make something like this very easily.

cook