> Why isn't all of that retrieval logic in the controller? I.e. you
> generate all the data you want in your controller, and you simply loop
> on your retrieved data in the vew.

Ah, see I'm totally with you on this... I have a quite specific
problem though: each type of template needs a specific set of data. So
for instance the monthly update might want all items of types A, B and
C with status confirmed and rating > 3, whereas the weekly update
might want something completely different. The controller does not
know what the template needs, and I kind of need to keep it that way.
I want to be able to add a new kind of report without having to add
specific code for that report type in the controller.

(Obviously I could for instance add a function in the reports
controller for each report type, but want to keep the controller
clean.)

> You will find that it is phenomenally slow if you requestAction all
> your data, and btw the second parameter for requestAction is an array
> - anything in it is received by the requestedAction.(but please, don't
> use requestAction to turn MVC into spaghetti).

I didn't realise that requestAction had performance implications,
thanks for pointing that out.

It does indeed go against MVC a little bit. My problem is that the
template (which is the view) needs to pull the data, which inherently
is un-MVC. Or can anyone think of a better way of structuring the
code? As I said I've considered having an include file that fetches
the data, but would like to have a single file if possible.

Thanks