A 404 is generated by your server - not the client.

Is the 404 generated by Cake, or by your webserver?  If by cake, set
the DEBUG to 1 and see what the real error is (ie missing model/view/
controller file).  If by your webserver, then the request isn't even
getting to cake - so look at your webserver logs to see what the real
request was - these browsers may be mangling it a little.

I'm not sure if I've used exactly 1.1.13, but none our cake apps have
problems with safari or firefox on a mac.