Well, that eliminates the the easy fixes, then.  Hmm...

The only time I ever had something like that happen with my code was
with a password field that FireFox was autofilling with a stored
password.  I fixed it by setting the autocomplete attribute to off in
my form tag, e.g.:

<form method="post" autocomplete="off" action="<?php echo $html->url('/
alumni/edit'); ?>">

I suppose it's worth a shot, if you really think it's something on the
client side.