IMHO if PHP5 was full backwards compatible there would be less
problems for its adoption. Hosters just won't update to see a hundred
clientes blaming them when their applications start failing. It is not
PHP developers fault if people did things wrong in the past (or is
it?), but it is how things are. Learn and move forward.

I really don't think PHP4 is going to die anytime soon, not until all
legacy PHP apps have passed and every developer has adopted PHP5. And
that, for sure, is going to take a while. Damn, I'm still fighting
with some MySQL 3.xx databases! :P