hi everyone,

help. this is my first time to post here and i have just run out of
thoughts on how to make this work.

firstly, i wanted to have a menu that has a "Products" menu. and when
the Products is clicked, a list of categories is then displayed, i
plan to have this as an invisible div-ul-li that when the products is
clicked it visibles it under the products menu (hope i made this
clear).

now im having a problem with getting a constant variable that would be
visible to the layout everytime. at first i didnt know where to put
the code. after reading a lot of posts here in the groups this is what
i came up with, i had a variable, $this->set('category_list',...) in
beforeFilter/beforeRender. But when im going to access it in the
layout, it gives me an error. I tried to do pr() on the category_list
in the layout it throws a "Undefined variable: category_list".

can anyone help with my problem?? or can anyone suggest like where to
put a global something that is always called?? o btw, heres my snippet
on the beforeFilter/beforeRender.

        function beforeFilter() {
                if (isset($this->params['admin']))
                    $this->layout = 'admin_default';
                if (!isset($this->params['admin'])) {
                    echo 'x';
                    $this->set('category_list', $this->Category-
>generateList(null, 'name ASC', null, '{n}.Category.id',
'{n}.Category.name'));

the echo 'x' there is just to test if it enters my condition, and it
does. im just wondering why the category_list isnt being available in
the layout..

thanks for the help. :D