It probably is your server. I ran a couple of apps on a godaddy shared
server (with CGI) and the load on the server was already so high that
adding a large app load on top of all of it made the thing slow, but
not nearly as slow as what you've got going. I used to have an app
with about 30 tables running clean and smooth on a shared server, it's
just a matter of how efficient your code is and how fast your mysql
server is responding to requests.

Also, you'll want to check that you're not using var $uses heavily in
your controllers. For example you'll want to use $this->Users->Profile-
>read() instead of using var $uses = array('Users', 'Profile'); (and
$this->Profile->read()). $uses is evil and should be sparsely used.

Last but not least, try setting debug to '0' in /app/config/core.php.
Cake will do some automagical caching to speed things up a bit.

But all in all, I'd recommend getting a new server. I run pretty much
everything these days on mediatemple (mediatemple.com). Check them
out, they've got a great setup.