Brad's recent post ( http://tinyurl.com/3bxj9s ) on asset packager has
helped
a lot, but I'm still struggling with response time on a large intranet app.
Before
I get jumped on, even though my database relationships are fairly complex, I
don't believe the (cake)php page is the problem. Crude measurement with
firebug shows the 72k of prototype sticking out like a sore thumb. It
represents
a large chunk of overall time before the browser request cycle finishes.

Essentially, I only need to use ajax helper+prototype for stuff like div
remote
loads, links and form submissions (which is probably quite a lot now I think
about it)

This rather dated blog posting ( http://tinyurl.com/yyw5kd ) describes a
method by
which to vastly reduce the size. i dropped the download into my app but
things
stopped. I followed the method suggested to roll my own but it didn't work
(probably
incompatible versions) and I've run out of time tonight to pursue further.

Before I go diving into the prototype src components tomorrow, has anyone
got any
advice / experience / downloads on thinning out a recent up to date
prototype for
use with cake [1.2] and ajaxhelper??

--
Howard Glynn  -  Edinburgh, UK
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   -  email, google talk, facebook