With the Pages controller I find that routes don't really help me the way I
want. This is what I usually have to do:

RewriteRule ^(.*)htm$ pages/$1 [L]

so that I can then access pages like:
example.com/about_us.htm   ->  example.com/pages/about_us/

Works like a dream, if you don't have any other HTM pages anywhere else.

--
Baz L
Day In The Life of Baz