I'm with kabturek on this one. I'd stick with the initial download
setup until you learn the ins and outs of cake and its structure. It's
simple, just drop the whole download into a folder accessible by your
browser, make sure mod_rewrite is on, set up your database.php file
in /app/config/ and you're ready to go!

If you don't have a development server on your computer a great one
with EASY setup set up is xampp. Xampp and xampp lite have everything
you need to get started with cake. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html