Cool - got it working (at least locally).  here's my setup:

AppServ\www\cake\
AppServ\www\cake\cake\
AppServ\www\cake\docs\
AppServ\www\cake\vendors\
AppServ\www\cake\index.php

AppServ\www\acakesite\app\config\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\controllers\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\models\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\plugins\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\tmp\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\vendors\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\views\
AppServ\www\acakesite\app\index.php

AppServ\www\acakesite\css\
AppServ\www\acakesite\files\
AppServ\www\acakesite\img\
AppServ\www\acakesite\js\
AppServ\www\acakesite\css.php
AppServ\www\acakesite\index.php *1*

*1* has:
define('ROOT', DS.'AppServ'.DS.'www');
define('APP_DIR', 'acakesite'.DS.'app');
define('CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH', ROOT.DS.'cake');

Thanks!