I don't cal myself a heavy user of google group but I haven't
encountered any difficulty so far... I'm using ONLY web interface,
BTW.
This is much faster than yahoo group.

I think the biggest benefit of using google group is that it is part
of google, so searching can take advantage of google's search engine,
and it's likely this group feature won't be killed any time soon,
server won't get down frequently as low-finance private server, etc.