Dear list

I just started working with cake last week, I like what I see.  So I wanted
to contribute.  I began by taking an easy, simple and very clear Helper
module, based on code I've used in 10 or 12 apps before, though not built
for the cake or even a mvc hierarchy.

I signed up in the bakery and submitted an article detailing the simple and
useful little bit.  After I saw that the article wasn't even visible to me
after the submit, I looked to see if I was doing something wrong.  I mean
the article didn't even show up under my 'My Account' page.

After a careful reading of the 'The Bakery Article Guidelines'
http://bakery.cakephp.org/pages/guidelines
And in particular the one paragraph on 'Coding Guidelines' with it's link
to: https://trac.cakephp.org/wiki/Developement/CodingStandards
I came to the conclusion that the Cake 'team' was full of code nazis, or at
least one such was in charge of the articles.

Don't get me wrong, I have coded to a standard that is as clear (although I
honestly find it clearer than the listed style).

But as many religions on code styling have swayed the programing world every
few years, I've stuck to a best-practices style that is acceptable to
corporate and private enterprises, is clear, concise and full of comments.
However, the verbage on this site seems to suggest that no matter the value
of my contribution, no matter the clarity of my code, my article was to be
ignored.

quote from http://bakery.cakephp.org/pages/guidelines

This is why all articles submitted to The Bakery must meet all
requirementslisted on this page.

Now, my personal and business coding style is not very far removed from the
listed one in almost all points.   However, particularly the section I find
particularly odious is the control block section the "standards" say:

http://trac.cakephp.org/wiki/Developement/CodingStandards#Controlstructures

However, I'll expand on the style to show my contention
Example:
class MyHelper extends Helper {
    function myFunction($arg) {
        if ((expr_1) || (expr_2 )) {
            // action_1;
        } elseif (!(expr_3) && (expr_4)) {
            // action_2;
        } else {
            // default_action;
        }
        return true;

Where I would put:

class MyHelper extends Helper
{
    function myFunction($args)
    {
        if ((expr_1) || (expr_2 ))
        {
            // action_1;
        }
        elseif ((!(expr_3)) && (expr_4))
        {
            // action_2;
        }
        else
        {
            // default_action;
        }
        return true;

As you can see the issue I have is with the "nesting-scope-hiding" opening
bracket position, as I strongly prefer the "nesting-scope-obvious" opening
bracket position.

I tried subitting it again, just now, directly from the "My Account" page,
and this time it was accepted.  Maybe the firt time was some small bug in
submitting from a different page (the Code->Helpers link
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/add/8 on page:
http://bakery.cakephp.org/categories/view/3)?  Anyway, in my actual
summision (yet to be approved but hopefully available soon at:
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/color-helper-random), I reformatted
it to use the demanded style.

The whole reasong I'm writing this note to the list though is because in
closing all my windows down, I found multiple examples of code using what I
call the "nesting-scope-obvious" opening bracket position: where opening
brackets go on a line by themselves at exactly the same indent as their
control structure, and the closing brackets.

So , am I confused?  Is there some dichotomy?  Would my code have been
accepted with the "nesting-scope-obvious" opening bracket position?

I think that in many cases, the style I advocate has saved me crucial
developing time.  But if I must rewrite my code into this standard in order
to submit, then I will only submit very small things.  Could the coding
style docs include the "nesting-scope-obvious" opening bracket position,
even if the other is prefered?

Jeff