Hi,

not sure what version of Cake you use, but when I installed the latest
stable version of cakePHP, I was also very confused, mod_rewriting was
obviously working on my apache (tested it seperatly),  but no matter
what I tried, I didn't come to see any css effects on the cake site.

Well I could'nt solve the problem, but all looked nice after
installing Cake 1.2, so maybe thats an option for you too.

Michael