Ok, I finally got it...I used the same link val used to get the
mod_rewrite working for the CSS on the cakephp page and placed the
following into my /etc/apache2/sites-available/default file:

        <Directory "/var/www/cake">
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>

This worked for the cakephp page, but I was still receiving 404 File
Not Found errors everywhere else, including http://localhost/posts/index.

In order to fix this, I adjusted the above entry to:

        <Directory "/var/www">
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>

I no longer receive 404s, and as of right now, it looks like it's
working as it should.

Hope this helps anyone else who is currently pulling out their
hair :).

Thanks,
Jeff.