Are you using cakephp 1.1?

I previously used the phpGACL with success. Since switching to cakephp
1.2, I have migrated to the built-in ACL scheme with a set up similar
to what Geoff uses.
(http://lemoncake.wordpress.com/2007/07/19/acl-with-groups/)

Anyway, take a look at this thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/99f6800c439146e4