On Dec 11, 2007 7:46 PM, jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know what you mean. I've spent three days to solve a problem that's
> three lines of regular PHP code and still no solution. Apparently
> CakePHP 'just works!' so doesn't need documentation. Yeah, well if it
> works, it's on minimum wage and giving surly customer service! And
> except for those days when it doesn't show up to work, and didn't
> think to call in so you've no idea where it's gone...

Instead of putting down all the work that has gone into CakePHP, why
don't you try and solve the problem yourself?  You have the source
code, so why can't you fix it and supply a patch.  I mean, if it's
really so simple, it should be easy to fix.

Right?

I know this will shock a lot of people on this list, but the people
who contribute to Cake do it FOR NOTHING.  As a result, bugs may tend
to languish far longer than they would if there was a dedicated core
of people getting paid to fix it.  I don't know about you, but by the
time my day job is over I usually only have a few brain cells left to
devote to thinking about other projects, so I can understand why some
bugs sit around.

I am in agreement that this bug (which is almost a year old) should be
looked after.  Only question is, who is going to do it?  Not you, from
the sounds of it.

Associative data mapping is HARD.  This bug in particular is hard.
Maybe I'm stupid, but this doesn't look like a non-trivial fix.  It
requires a firm understanding of how the data mapping works, and there
are probably under a dozen people who fully understands how it works.
I am not one of those people, but I do know some of those people.
Hopefully one of them kept reading this thread after "Am I choosing
the right framework" and snarky comments about CakePHP not needing
documentation and giving surly customer service.  I don't remember
anyone being promised anything.

--
Chris Hartjes

My motto for 2007:  "Just build it, damnit!"

@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard