I found that instead of following that article completely, I modified
one of the baked model tests, which had two extra functions, setUp and
tearDown:

class UserTestCase extends CakeTestCase {

        var $fixtures = array( 'user_test' );

        function setUp() {
                $this->UserTest =& new User();
        }

        function tearDown() {
                unset($this->UserTest);
        }

       function testStuff() {

And there I initialize the User model as $this->UserTest in the setUp
function.  Everything else from the article I followed, and it seemed
to work fine (with the fixture data and everything).

Hope this helps.

-Casey