i didnt't realize why the use of views should

a) be not portable and
b) not indexable

?

nearly every database supports views, so i could't see a problem
there. and the columns listed in a view of course might be indexed in
the underlaying table. the only problem i see is that you might not be
able to insert data into views. in oracle that's possible, but you had
to write an instead of-trigger for each view. don't know if mysql
supports tha. but if you want to create a readonly interface to oyur
database table with cake, i can see no problem in using views.