Hey guys, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have by no means
done any research on this at all, so... just throwing it out there

What about a journal table (fieldnames:   id, model_name, model_id,
data)?

And before saving a record with the updated values, you save a
serialized array of the existing record values in the journal table?

That way you can view a history of any record, and maybe even use
something like phpdiff to see the differences

stupid idea or?