I would like a little clarification here...

When people above are talking about "using plaintext passwords" and
"disabling hashing", are they talking about actually storing plaintext
passwords in the database?  I think most of us can agree that this is
Evil.

But is nate also suggesting that CakePHP developers think it is E-vil
for us to want to have access to the plaintext version of the password
during a Model save?  Or are we all in agreement that you need to send
a plaintext version of the desired password to the model, so that we
can actually validate it prior to saving ... to prevent the empty
password problem franky061 mentions above?