I've been beating my head into the wall on Auth/ACL for over a week
now. Yesterday, I got SimpleACL Component to work,[1] but this morning
I was suddenly unable to authenticate; nor is anybody else. I used to
be pretty good at digging through spaghetti code and finding problems,
but I cannot figure out where the authentication is failing---yes, the
username/password are correct. I got SimpleACL to work out of the box,
until this morning when everything stopped authenticating.

I cannot find one truly authoritative reference that clearly explains
Auth/ACL. I find documents that discuss the 1.1 table structure, but
nothing that explains 1.2 in a way that clearly makes sense to me. I
even tried that ACL Management plugin and threw it away. I need a
solution that works vanilla.

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill

[1]: http://wiki.kabturek.info/simpleaclcomponent