Hi Zeugme,

I did a tutorial that'll get you up and running quickly if you're on
Leopard.

http://keithmedlin.com/?p=26

Here's what is included:

- Installing MySQL
- Configuring the built in Apache & PHP to handle CakePHP
- Installing CakePHP 1.2
- Configuring your first site in Apache's httpd.conf & Apple's hosts
file
- Setting up your database for a test application
- Baking your first site from the console
- Configuring your database.php file
- Testing your site in a browser to ensure you've done it all
correctly.

I hope it helps and any feedback you have would be great!