On Feb 6, 5:03 pm, Baz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm never sure whether I'm doing things the "right" way. To be
> honest, all this MVC stuff was brand new to me by the time I started. This
> is why I've been hesitant to submit articles to the bakery, for example.
> Since a lot of my stuff, can be considered patchwork, I wouldn't want to
> mislead people searching for "official" solutions on the bakery (and even
> Official Docs). That's why I usually keep my ramblings on my own blog.

This sums up how I feel as well. I dived into using CakePHP maybe a
year ago now, and it's taken me all this time to get from the stage
where it works, all the way to the stage where I'm starting to use it
in the proper MVC spirit.

I find it difficult working out from the API/source code just what's
going on. For example, it takes me anything up to an hour sometimes
just to work out how to do something like disable labels using the
form helper, trying to work out where all the different option array
elements are being used.

So I want to help other people out, but I worry I'm not doing things
the right way. On my own site, I can say "this is how I'm making
sites. It works, but it may not be the best way. Please tell me if you
find a better way of doing something and I'll update my guide to do it
that way instead."

If I was writing official documentation, I'd feel like I was saying
"this is how it's *supposed* to be done, how it *should* be done." I
don't feel confident enough to make that claim.

If anyone else can get the documentation and code commenting to the
stage where us early adopters of CakePHP 1.2 can see what each method
of each class is doing in sufficient detail, I'm sure we can all group
together and help with the official documentation. I'd be happy to,
and it looks like others are too.

Is this something we can do together? I hope I'm not out of line with
these suggestions, I'm just trying to help bridge the gap between
those who are great at writing code, and those like myself who are
perhaps not so good at programming, but are still good at explaining
how things work in simpler terms.

Thanks,
Zoe.