Questions:
- Linux/Windows
- PHP and Cake console in %PATH% or calling each time?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you're baking a project you
need to call the script from the localhost/cake folder.
 - cake bake [project_name]

after this, you call all other bake commands from:
localhost\cake\[project_name]

I've experience weird results (not what you stated though) when my cake
console path was from a different folder from where I was trying to bake
to....eg. I'm under my Cake Beta folder, but in the path Cake SVN
folder....stuff gets funky ;)

--
Baz L
Web Development 2.0