Hello to all,

I am keen to use ACL in my application. However, the requirement that
users only be in one group seems to me to be a massive obstacle.

As an example, imagine there is a bulletin board application with many
forums. Each forum will have members, moderators and administrators.
An administrator in one group may be only a member of another group
and so on.

I thought up a possible solution to the above, and I would appreciate
comments. As I understand it, tree navigation (and thus cascading
permissions) is implemented using the parentID() function, implemented
in the relevant model.

Would it be possible to write the parentID() function such that it
returned a different parentID depending on the current location in the
site.

For example:

User visits Forum1. He is only a member of this forum. parentID()
knows that he is visiting that particular forum, and thus returns
Forum1.members as the relevant parent group.

User visits Forum2. He is an administrator of this forum. parentID(),
based on the forum being viewed, returns Forum2.admins as the relevant
parent group.

Comments on the above? Would it work? Would it solve this problem?

Thanks,
Benjamin