Thanks for your reply,

Your description would enable people to work; however, if I have
understood correctly, it relies on specifying permissions for
individual users to override group permissions. This rather seems to
me to then lose a lot of the advantage of using ACL.

My original question was posing a possible solution (or possibly a
harebrained idea, I don't understand the underlying specifics enough)
which would 'trick' the group mechanism by returning different
parentIDs depending on what was most relevant at a particular time.

Benjamin

PS: I am also following
http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/62178b38e2466286,
which is obviously along similar lines.