I found out that for empty integer fields (that are optional of
course) Cake tries to save an empty string instead of NULL. I have to
handle this in Model::beforeSave() like:

if ($this->data[$this->name]['number'] === '') unset($this->data[$this-
>name]['number']);

And so the empty string becomes NULL in the SQL statement.