Sorry about getting off on the wrong foot.

I think my main question is: Should I create a controller for my
homepage? My homepage is not really specific to a single model, so it
would not be named as such. So is it OK to have something like
HomeController, with an index method? In general do you create
controllers that only have an index method?

All the tutorials have very tight relationships between a single
table, controller, view and model, I wish there were more examples of
multiple models being used, as well as controllers that were not tied
to as single model/table.