I am creating a plugin for newsletter in my application. There you
have the two links that you will need:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/4303/download/zip.html

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-php-fwk5/index.html?S_TACT=105AGX44&S_CMP=ART

The first is a PHP Class to "queue" your emails in the db, and the
second is a tutorial to learn how to make the custom cake shell, that
you will call with cron later.

Hope that helps.
Martin B