For anyone who found themselves understanding what I needed, this is
what I came up with that delivered a result.

My issue was that I had a field for first_name and a field for
last_name of people who referred the contact I was entering and I
could not get the auto-cake-magic to render the complete name. To
display a drop down box that would include the id and join the two
name fields together, I added this to the controller:

        $referrers = $this->Contact->find('all', array('fields' =>
array('id','first_name','last_name')), 0);
        $referrers = Set::combine($referrers, '{n}.Contact.id', array('{0}
{1}','{n}.Contact.first_name','{n}.Contact.last_name'));

        $this->set(compact('referrers'));