Unfortunately I don't think there is a native way to allow this (yet)
however correct me if I am wrong.

I did a test the other day and managed to get it to work as far as I
could tell.

create your model as below:

app/models/list_model.php

<?php
class ListModel extends AppModel {

        var $name = 'ListModel';
        var $useTable = 'lists';

        function __construct($id = false, $table = null, $ds = null) {
                parent::__construct($id, $table, $ds);
                $this->alias = 'List';

?>

Then in your controller:

app/controllers/lists_controller.php

<?php
class ListsController extends AppController {

        var $name = 'Lists';
        var $uses = array('ListModel');

        function beforeFilter() {
                parent::beforeFilter();
                $this->List = $this->ListModel;
        }

        function index() {
                $lists = $this->List->find('all');
                pr($lists);
                exit;

?>

Hope that helps... of course, this could be abstracted into a
behaviour and component or app_controller and app_model, however I
would prefer to see this implemented correctly into the core (if it
isn't already).

Cheers,
Adam