Well, i realize this is a bit of a dillema: performance vs.
architectural. I just think it would be cleaner if a plugin could also
contain its own images, since layout- and viewtemplates are also
included in a plugin. But i agree there could be some performance
backdraws. I think if this were to be implemented though, a developer
could choose to keep the images in the app/webroot for performance
sake, or put them in app/plugins/[plugin]/vendors/img for
architecturals sake.

It just would be cool to only maintain, tweak and rewrite the plugin
from time to time, then just replace the plugin at all of my customers
webapps, and updating all those webapps in a really clean and easy
way...