Funny, I just started re-doing a site for an independent label, also.
While I'm not creating separate sites for each artist, I've decided to
do pretty much all of the SELECTs based on the artists' slugs. So,
instead of doing a read(null, $id) I need to do a findBySlug($slug)
and adjust the routes accordingly.

If you're creating entirely separate Cake sites for each artist, you
could define('ARTIST_SLUG', 'whatever') in each bootstrap.php. Once
you've done your basic selection based on the slug you should be able
to leave your recursive associations based on the id, as normal.