> Can you explain why you want to do this?  For what circumstance do
> they need a persistent unique value?
>
> The only thing I can think of is to store data on a persistent medium
> - ie database or file.  And in both of these cases you can easily
> generate a unique one (file / row), and just store the key (filename /
> row id) in the session...  Or, you can change the 'Session.save' in
> the same file, to cause Cake to automatically save session data to
> disk / database.
>
> Finally, if you set the 'Security.level' to 'medium' in /app/config/
> core.php then the session id won't regenerate for every request, so
> you could just use that.

Thank you, that was very helpful!

Yes, I somehow managed to overlook the obvious. Although I was setting
the user's language preference as a standard CakePHP session variable,
I somehow got it into my head that I need to do something more complex
to store their shopping cart. You're right, there was absolutely no
need for me to try to work out some elaborate method of verifying that
each user's unique and not accidentally swapping shopping carts with
someone else - Cake's doing all that for me, so all I needed to do was
find out if a shopping cart ID is set as a regular session variable,
and if not, create a new one and set it.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)
Zoe.