Folks, this *can* be done if you dig deep enough. I know it is bad
karma to modify the source, but I've done it - to add LDAP
authentication capability to Auth. I even have the diffs against
6311 :-) The trick is to look at the identify() method in auth.php.
Essentially the hard coded call to find needs to be replaced with an
if/else in two places - only 4 extra lines of "real" code, I was very
careful to use what is provided and completely minimise the hack.

This hack is the only diversion from standard, the rest can be
achieved by careful use of the hooks and callbacks provided. You have
to use a few tricks that are supported to override things like
hashPasswords. It did take a while to figure it out with heavy use of
pr() etc, and was complicated a bit by an "Employee" rather than
"User" model.

I've got half a bakery article written (on my screen right now, how is
that for a tease) and had in mind a trac ticket with the changes,
which are 100% backward compatible. (essentially, check for presence
of an alternative "authenticateUser" method in the user model, if
exists, then call it)

For the record, I'm using Auth, with authentication via an LDAP stored
password, with a local Employee table with various "cached" data like
user role etc.

This approach would work for any external authentication requirement,
as it leaves you to write the method.

I'm still playing with the right approach to use in beforeFilter() /
isAuthorized() and app_controller / xxx_controllers before I can give
a definitive statement.

Howard